Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Creed, the Cross and Jesus. Dr. Josimar Salum


The Creed, the Cross and Jesus.
Josimar Salum

I was added to a theology type group on Facebook! I don't even know who did. I decided to stay and I am enjoying, specially posts like the one of the greek word (adjective) for "double minded".

Everything it was going well until I decided to post a "little comment."

"Let's go back to the postulation of the Protestant Reformation. Sola Scriptura. Rend therefore your confessions of faith!" (JSalum)

Usually 2 or 3 people liked the others posts. None practically were commenting, but these words got a lot of attention! Some comments were very professional and polite, especially from a theologian, PhD brother, I don't know him, I do think he is my brother in Christ. I mean, I don't think we know people very well only being friends on Facebook. But one or two comments were very disdainful among dozens of discussions that took place!

"Let's go back to the postulation of the Protestant Reformation. Sola Scriptura. Rend therefore your confessions of faith!" is just a provocative opinion. It is just a start point for a dialogue. We are all accustomed to creeds that a statement like that may become a dividing issue. 

"Sola Scriptura is a doctrine directly speaking to the Roman Catholic belief that church tradition is infallible and authoritative." And for many Protestants, evangelicals, too! Not really infallible but authoritative! Creeds are part of Church tradition! As MacArthur puts it, Sola Scrptura "has to do with the sufficiency of Scripture as our supreme authority in all spiritual matters." But I do not believe that Scripture is our supreme authority in all spiritual matters." At least it was not for so many believers in history, even for Abraham, David, the prophets, the apostles, etc. Jesus is the supreme authority in all matters, not His Scriptures!

Understand well! I love the written Word of God. In one version Jesus said so: "You search the Scriptures, because ye think ye have eternal life, and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39

I love the word of God. "How I love your law! I meditate on it all day. Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, because they are always with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, because I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts to. Alejo feet from every evil way to obey your word. Do not turn away from thy judgments, for you yourself teach me. How sweet to my palate your words! More than honey to my mouth "Psalm 119: 97-103

I believe with all my heart in the word of God.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which, in due course, give her fruit, and whose leaf does not wither; and everything he does will succeed "Psalm 1: 1-3.

Do we need to have the same creeds to be true Christians. Is that right? Sola Scriptura concept can't be argued! Are the Reformation pillars so sacred? It is written in stone! Which stone?

My statement was just a mere opinion of a participant, yes, definitely, it is just an opinion. I just posted an opinion. It is not even a creed neither a confession of faith. 

Yes, we have opinions, creeds and confessions of faith. And yes, I was just trolling around my controversial opinion! 

It is amazing how an opinion like that can get a lot of attention! But believe me, I will not die for an opinion as much as I would die to be in communion with my brothers! 

I love the Scriptures, and I read the "creeds". They are only creeds! And I find interesting how many Christians does have just a creed and a cross!

I believe that "All Scripture is the inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3: 16-17

I do not believe the creeds and confessions of faith are inspired by God.

We can all agree that the Bible is the Word of God written by mere men and creeds are just mere statements and writings of mere men, even if they are biblical. 

However, I do not have to believe the same religion, I mean, creed or the same confession of faith that you believe to be your brother in Christ! Do I? Of course, as we are brothers and sisters in Christ does not mean that we have our own beliefs and doctrines based on any teaching around the globe. We have the Scriptures  and we do have Jesus! But we do not follow the Scriptures, we follow Jesus. The Scriptures without knowing Jesus are just Scriptures. Without believing in Jesus, only Jesus, we will continue lost without Eternal Life even if we keep believing, professing and keeping our creeds, confessions and traditions.

Yes, we can talk about the unity of faith! The unity of the Faith also is Christ. Thinking the same thing does not mean believing in the same thing. We relate to people and not to ideas! In the Body of Christ there is no uniformity, but diversity. There is one Body, one God, one Spirit and one Christ! And remember we are all One!

"John, Peter, James! You want to eat fish on the beach with me!" I have told the Lord that morning! We have Jesus! What wonderful friend! It is Jesus enough?

“You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.” John 5:39-40

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete